I am proud to announce the release of OpenShot 1.3.0! Our team has spent the last 5 months perfecting this version, and I am so proud of what we have achieved! Our goal is to be the very best open-source video editor. This release brings us closer to that goal.
As tradition, I have created an original video to announce this release. Enjoy!
- Improved stability, performance, and usability
- New user interface theme (titled 'Fresh')
- Stock icons support
- Add multiple clips to the timeline in one step (including transitions or fades)
- More timeline animations & smoother play-head motion
- Many new exciting 3D animations (including Snow, Lens Flare, Particle Effects, Animated World Maps)
- Files, transitions, and effects filtering (toggle buttons and search bar)
- Improved video rotation (including 1 click rotation)
- Automatic detection of image sequences
- Smoother scaling (panning, zooming, and rotation)
- Transition snapping and improved direction detection
- Video upload to YouTube and Vimeo
- Full list of bug fixes and improvements
If you use Ubuntu 9.10 (or newer) as your operating system, then the easiest way to install OpenShot is with our PPA. Once you have installed our PPA, either install OpenShot or run your Update Manager to get the newest version.
- The 3D animation now requires Blender 2.56 (or greater)
- The new theme, Fresh, is now the default theme. However, if you are upgrading, you will need to change the theme in the preferences (if desired), because it will continue to use your previous theme.
- The frei0r-plugins package is not required to use OpenShot, but if you install it, it will add many additional effects. This package should be available in your favorite package manager or software center.
- Many distros do not include all video and audio codecs. If you want to install them all, you need to install the libavformat-extra-52 package (or equivalent). This package should be available in your favorite package manager or software center.
Want to learn more about OpenShot? Want to become an expert user? Want to become the next great developer / contributor? Check out our help manual, which contains 60+ pages of great content, updated screenshots, step by step instructions, and translations in many different languages:
- Help Manual (Dutch)
- Help Manual (English)
- Help Manual (French)
- Help Manual (Greek)
- Help Manual (Spanish)
- More languages coming soon...
Spread the Word:
Please help us spread the word about OpenShot 1.3.0. If you do write an article or blog entry, please share the address in our comments section for everyone to enjoy. Also, if you are using a package manager that supports reviews or ratings (such as the Ubuntu 11.04 software center, or the Mint package manager), please give us some love!
As always, this release stands on the shoulders of so many great projects, such as Python, MLT, Blender, Inkscape, and all of the other libraries we depend on. So, a big "Thank You" to all these projects. And also, I want to thank all of the amazing contributors that help me on a daily basis. This release would not have happened without you and your support!
I hope everyone enjoys using OpenShot 1.3.0, and please don't forget to mention OpenShot when you post your videos on YouTube, Vimeo, and other video sharing sites. Also, if you create a really great video, please share it with me, so I can post it here on this blog for everyone to enjoy. In closing, here is a video made by @johhjnsn with OpenShot, about a robot, which utilizes great art, vision, music, and truly showcases the magic that a video editor can create: